Saturday, November 6, 2010

Links to my Poetry Unit

Here is a poetry unit I created. I was able to teach this for three days. We read poetry, learned how to write Haiku poems, wrote Haiku poems, created a Haiku bulletin board, learned about similes through brainstorming ideas using adjectives, and wrote poems using these adjectives to write poems. If I would have been able to continue, I would have taught the other two following lessons about metaphors and personification.


Haiku
As you can see from the student's work, some of them had a harder time than others learning about syllables. I loved this lesson because after all was done, even the students who needed extra help had a better understanding of what a syllable is and how they are used in poetry.

Simile
This was a two-part lesson. During the first day the students learned how to brainstorm via a word-web. In the middle is the noun and they brainstormed adjectives to describe the noun. These were then used to write a poem. They were also learning how to work in cooperative groups for these lessons. This was something new to them because they only work independently all of the time. They did a wonderful job at this and I could tell they loved the change.
They all did great at brainstorming; however, when it came time to write their own poems I noticed they were a little reluctant to get help from each other. This is evident in the samples I provided. I only graded these as a pass/fail because it was so new to them. I worked with the students who had trouble until they were able to successfully create their poems.  

Metaphors
Metaphor Slide Show

Personification
Personification Slide Show


No comments:

Post a Comment